Find the DHCP servers on your net

How often does this go wrong: multiple dhcp servers on your subnet? Because routers, accesspoints, modems boxes ALL have dhcp servers nowadays, a double or triple dhcp server in your network is not uncommon. But tools to identify which dhcp servers are available are not easy to find.

To identify that something might be wrong, you can use ipconfig on a windows cmd box:

C:\Documents and Settings\rvw.KOEKJE>ipconfig /all

Windows IP-configuratie

Ethernet-adapter LAN-verbinding:

Standaardgateway. . . . . . . . . : 10.237.147.2
DHCP-server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.237.147.50
DNS-servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 213.51.129.37
213.51.144.37
etc

This shows you your CURRENT dhcp server, but if there are multiple dhcp servers running by accident, you will get an IP address from a RANDOM server!

Same with NETSH. The command NETSH DIAG SHOW DHCP only shows your CURRENT dhcp server and does not do a scan.
Even utilities that claim to do this, only show one or only the current dhcp. DHCPexplorer from nsasoft is such a fake application.

Fortunately there is a tool that comes standard with windows, called DHCPLOC. If it is not installed, you can find it on your windows CD under the \support\tools directory OR get it from
here

Give your current IP address as an argument to dhcploc, and press “d” (discover). Press d a few times to get a good view.

C:\WINDOWS>dhcploc 10.237.147.101
15:28:30 OFFER (IP)10.237.147.199 (S)10.237.147.50 ***Form
15:28:32 OFFER (IP)10.237.147.170 (S)10.237.147.1 ***
15:28:32 OFFER (IP)10.237.147.199 (S)10.237.147.50 ***
15:28:34 OFFER (IP)10.237.147.199 (S)10.237.147.50 ***
15:28:35 OFFER (IP)10.237.147.170 (S)10.237.147.1 ***
15:28:35 OFFER (IP)10.237.147.199 (S)10.237.147.50 ***
15:28:36 OFFER (IP)10.237.147.170 (S)10.237.147.1 ***
15:28:37 OFFER (IP)10.237.147.199 (S)10.237.147.50 ***

There! there is a rogue dhcp server running at IP 10.237.147.1 !!
So you know.

(the rogue dhcp server turned out to be a netopia dsl router, which only changes dhcp server settings after a REBOOT! Shame!)

Edit:
Another nice tool is DHCPFIND.EXE, from roadkil. Its free and works, and is a GUI tool, not a commandline tool. Only problem is that it does not show the dhcp server IP, so dhcploc is still the best utility for the job. If you want to try dhcpfind, look here

16 Responses to “Find the DHCP servers on your net”

1. websitez 16 June 2012 at 02:25 #

Terrific post however I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more on this topic? I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Bless you!

2. Boulder CO mold remediation 21 June 2012 at 11:33 #

Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your website? My blog is in the exact same area of interest as yours and my visitors would genuinely benefit from a lot of the information you present here. Please let me know if this ok with you. Thanks!

3. tanouye brown 26 September 2012 at 01:07 #

hession wright

4. Gino 17 January 2013 at 16:48 #

I’m all over this. Good stuff – I’m pretty in-line with most of the things you stated. Going to show this along with my friends that are as well in to this.

5. SSC Stenographer 11 January 2014 at 13:32 #

hi!,I love your writing very so much! proportion we be in
    contact extra about your article on AOL?
    I need an expert in this space to resolve my problem. Maybe that is you!
    Looking forward to peer you.

6. Happy Valentine’s Day 18 January 2014 at 13:06 #

Happy Valentine day Quotes here which is specially designed by our experts. You can download love images for Happy Valentine Day. We are updating collection of Happy Valentine’s day Wallpaper. You can search Valentine’s Day wallpapers, Valentine’s day images, Valentine’s day photos form this collection.Valentine day SMS
    Click on Wallpaper And then Right click on the wallpaper and select the option “Save as Image and select the location where you can to save it on your computer/laptop.

So we are sharing the best happy Valentines Day Quotes and Sayings for this year of 2014 14th February. These valentines Day quotes and saying can be used for anyone special be it newlyweds, husband (him), wife (her), boyfriend or girlfriend. We are also trying to include valentines day some funny and hilarious quotes on happy Valentines’s Day 2014 which can be liked by the masses and has the ability to go viral onFacebook, WhatsApp, BBM, WeChat or any social networking apps for that matter. Some of the categories under which these Valentines’s Day quotes and saying may come under are – valentines day quotes for friends, valentines day SMS for her, valentines day quotes and sayings for him, valentines day quotes and sayings for her, valentine’s day love quotes and sayings, valentines day quotes for boyfriends, valentines day quotes for husband. So scroll down and enjoy these creative and awesome Valentines Day 2014 SMS and Sayings for couples.

7. SSC FCI CPT Result 6 February 2014 at 12:18 #

hello!, I love the writing very a great deal! proportion we have
    contact extra in relation to your article about AOL?
    I need an authority in this space to settle my problem. Maybe that is you!
    Looking forwards to peer an individual

8. HTET Result 2014 7 February 2014 at 13:33 #

Can you mind if I quote many of your posts as long as I provide credit rating and sources back aimed at your website? My blog is in the very same area of awareness as yours and my visitors would likely genuinely benefit from most of the information you existing here. Please well then, i’ll know if this ok along. Thanks!

9. SSC FCI Result 2014 8 February 2014 at 08:38 #

really like your thought, younger brother is analyzing these things, so I am going to inform her.

10. CTET Answer Key 2014 12 February 2014 at 14:25 #

It’s all about link building is not all that difficult if you know how. The debate about the ethical or unethical nature of SEO can continue till world’s end.
    A website is of little value if your customers can’t find it, though, and that’s
    where online marketing services come in to the picture.

11. Dil Mill Gaye 8 March 2014 at 11:39 #

Good work through, but unless I’m reading it wrong I think it assumes your default gateway is the same as the DHCP server. Usually /var/lib/dhcpcd/*.info or /var/lib/NetworkManager/* will contain the dhcp-server-identifier info on Linux, and something in the Windows Event Logs will show similar:

12. Schools9 4 April 2014 at 05:47 #

I think LAN setting are fine, Standaardgateway. . . . . . . . . : 10.237.147.2
    DHCP-server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.237.147.50
    DNS-servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 213.51.129.37
    213.51.144.37

13. Results 2014 5 April 2014 at 21:03 #

Wonder article, Thrift was never more necessary in the world’s history than it is today. ~Francis H. Sisson

I really like LAN setting, I will conifig my DNS

14. SSC Result 2014 11 April 2014 at 08:27 #

hey Where to see the results and how we can do the same things for these changes like this one.

15. Ananya 11 April 2014 at 11:13 #

Always gud to understand and learn more, thank you…good work kudos

16. ipl 2014 live streaming 14 April 2014 at 05:45 #

i like this blog that provide full information